Sunday, April 11, 2010

Seeking the Sexual Thrill, Addicted to Sex or Validating Defectiveness?

I am in a committed relationship with a woman whom I adore. I wish to spend the rest of my natural life with my partner. she compliments me in ways others never have. there is a problem, though. I’m addicted to deviant, sometimes dangerous sexual encounters with friends and strangers alike. I meet up with people at odd hours, I lie about my whereabouts to facilitate sexual encounters, I blow off important business to chase wild orgasms. I don’t know how to handle this unquenchable urge to chase kinky sex, other than submitting to it wholly. my partner isn't interested in most things I indulge in when seeking out these encounters, but I would not say that she does not satisfy me. that would be unfair, because she does indeed fulfill me. how do I deal with the voices beckoning me to pursue these unstable, unhealthy, self-defeating sexual liaisons? I do not want to endanger the relationship I have spent years building.
- Hornier than Thou

Dearest Hornier than Thou (but are you? Really.. lol),

You are in quite the predicament aren’t you?

My first thoughts: a couple of questions – after you have quenched your thirst for these behaviors, do you feel guilty, ashamed, is there a sense of remorse? Do you seek redemption? The way you acknowledge the “wrongness” of the situation and you question how to “deal” with the indulgences as to not ruing your relationship leads me to believe you do. If this is the case and you are being honest that your partner fulfils you then perhaps the real issue is that a part of you feels defective and you continue to seek validation. We feel comfortable knowing ourselves and doing the things that keep us insync with ourselves. Do I think someone can be addicted to sex? Maybe, but I think if that were the case, then you’d be ok with just your partner, even if she didn’t meet all of your sexual requirements. Where the addiction comes into play is probably more in the realm of your ramifications and feelings seeking and following said sexual acts. It sounds to me as if you are ready to fully give in to these feelings and compulsions, if you haven’t already. There is nothing wrong with living a healthy active sex life, nor having fantasies but when it starts to interfere with the rest of your life, putting you at risk of losing a major part of your life (partner, friends, respect, your own dignity), leaving you susceptible to disease and other health risks, opening the possibility of getting someone pregnant, and giving you more reason to feel “guilty”, then it is no longer healthy and something that is more dangerous than should be exhilarating.

There is also the possibility you are addicted to the thrill of it. Which could be very true. Unfortunately I don’t have much experience with thrill seeking haha.

I’d love to say “just don’t do it” – that’s a good answer, don’t submit, don’t give in. But my feelings are that if you took the time to ask for help, it’s a more serious issue that you’d like some honest answers to. And THAT is why I take the route I do with my advice below.

So, MY advice, and not trying to give you a cop out here, but I really suggest finding an expert to talk to. Someone who can walk through all the reasons you act out these fantasies at the risk of losing so much. Someone who can help you deal with these compulsions.

This is where I’d like to open it up to my friends and see if any of you can help our writer. I’d like to ask that you all give honest feedback and remember that some of our other friends might be dealing with similar feelings and that you can help a lot here. Do you think our writer is a sex addict? Do you think there’s more than meets the eye? Is the writer just a thrill seeker? What do you think our letter writer should do?

~Jazzy~

6 comments:

  1. Well the new "In" thing is go to Sex Rehab. Tiger and Jesse James did it. Hell even David Duchovony did it, before all these other scandals exploded.

    If you are constantly seeking things "elsewhere" and lying to your loved ones, then there is clearly a problem.

    Most people, they say who act out deviant sexual behaviour have been victims of some sort of abuse at a young age and it comes out this way later in life.

    Perhaps there are deeper seeded issues than the need to get kinky?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its funny, many a time in my life I feel as if I could have written that post word for word. Involved with a girl who seems like everything I wanted. Even had a nice sex life. It just seemed though, that nothing could replace sex with someone new, or someone/something more risque.

    I'd start by asking the question, if you were single would you still be bothered by your own actions/desires? If the answer is no, then I think the issue is something missing from your relationship.

    Looking back on my relationships with the clarity of hindsight, I realize that there were things missing from those relationships. That I was so caught up in what a great person I was with, I didn't think enough about whether they were great for me. Being great for me definitely includes having compatible sexual needs and desires no matter what those desires are, and I shouldn't be ashamed of liking what I like.

    On the other hand, if your own actions are bothersome to you, single or not, the problem's a little deeper.

    The idea of "sex rehab" seems really silly to most of us. I mean who doesn't love sex and want as much as possible? A compulsion to do anything repeatedly (sex, drugs, gambling) with no regards to the possible consequences is a problem. A problem that would probably be helped best by speaking with a counselor or therapist in some setting.

    Good luck getting to the bottom of it, I know it took me a while to figure out what the problem was and what I really wanted. Hopefully ti can be of some help to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does your partner really fulfill you, or are you simply trying to justify a reason to stay with her? The fact that you refer to your relationship in the end as something you have spent "years building," to me appears to be you justifying why you are trying to change what you have decided is something wrong with you. Have you in fact discussed doing all the kinky things you are interested in with her, and really given her the chance to not be interested in them?

    There is nothing wrong with being interested in kinky things, and enjoying it. The problem overall is if you are allowing to to disrupt your entire life. Blowing off business meetings, sneaking around behind a loved ones back, and even the health risks are all concerning issues. If it was simply a desire to be kinky I think that would be one thing, but it seems like a deeper desire to be dangerous until you are caught. Some people gamble themselves in to debt without anyone knowing, some people enjoy sexual activities to the point of being dangerous, some people commit crimes, all because of the desire to get caught(or at least very close to it). It's the thrill that feeds you, not the orgasm. If it was the orgasm then as you said your lover "does indeed fulfill" you.

    I would suggest seeking some professional help, because as risky as some of these encounters are now, the need to fill that thrill is only going to grow with time. As that need grows, so does the risk. I'm not suggesting you change your sexual interests in any way, simply find a way to really be satisfied not only with your partner, but also with your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the insight, folks. apryl, i can assure you that i have never been molested or abused as a child. i am as normal as the next person, and if you met me you would never guess i had these problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What you're saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I'm sure you'll reach so many people with what you've got to say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suspected my wife of cheating on me but I never had any proof. This went on for months, I didn't know what to do. i was so paranoid and decided to find a solution, i saw a recommendation about a private investigator and decided to contact him. I explained the situation about my wife to him and he said he was going to help me.I gave him all the informations he required and afterwards i received all my wife’s phones Text messages and calls, I was hurt when i saw a picture of my wife and her lover. I feel so bad about infidelity. but i am glad Mr james was able to help me get all this information, you can contact him via email(worldcyberhackers@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete